The winners of the 14th annual Asian Achievers Awards were announced on September 19th at a star-studded gala event at the Grosvenor House Hotel, on London’s Park Lane.
Picking up the Editor’s Award for Rising Star, was ground-breaking music producer, Naughty Boy, aka Shahid Khan, who shot to fame and critical acclaim last year with his hit single, ‘La La La’; and also the late Flight Lieutenant Rakesh Chauhan, whose parents collected the Editor’s Award for Bravery and Patriotism. Fl Lt Chauhan tragically lost his life in Afghanistan during a routine flight and was honoured for his service to his country.
The Asian Achievers Awards celebrates individuals who have inspired communities and achieved outstanding accomplishments in their respective fields.
Since launching 14 years ago, The Asian Achievers Awards has helped raise millions of pounds for charity and this year, the chosen charity partner is the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women.
ASIAN ACHIEVERS AWARDS 2014 WINNERS
1. Business Person Of The Year - Mahmud Kamani
2. Entrepreneur Of The Year - Dr. Richie Nanda
Executive Chairman, The Shield Group, the UK’s largest independent Total Security Solutions provider
3. Sports Personality Of The Year - Dilawer Singh MBE
Sports Council for Glasgow Elected Director
4. Uniformed And Civil Services - Nazir Afzal OBE
Chief Crown Prosecutor for the North West
5. Media, Arts And Culture - Hanif Kureishi CBE
Playwright, screenwriter, filmmaker and novelist. In 2008, The Times included Kureishi in their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945"
6. Woman Of The Year - Priya Lakhani OBE
Ethnic food entrepreneur, founder of Masala Masala, an Indian stir-in sauce
7. Achievement In Community Service - Wasim Gulzar Khan MBE
Chief Executive, The Cricket Foundation and CEO, Chance to Shine.
8. Professional Of The Year - Prof Sir Tejinder Singh Virdee, FRS
Experimental physicist and Professor of Physics at Imperial College London and one of the 'founding fathers' of CMS
9. Editor’s Award for Rising Star – Shahid Khan, aka Naughty Boy
Music producer, acclaimed for his global summertime hit single ‘La La La’, featuring Sam Smith and A-list collaborations
10. Editor’s Award for Bravery & Patriotism – The Late Fl Lt Rakesh Chauhan
29-year-old RAF Officer who died in Afghanistan when his helicopter (Lynx) crashed during a routine flight.