Legacy Recordings, the catalogue division of Sony Music Entertainment, in association with Exile Productions, Ltd., will release Van Morrison - The Healing Game (Deluxe Edition) on Friday, March 22, 2019.
The latest volume in Legacy's monumental Van Morrison catalogue reissue project, The Healing Game (Deluxe Edition) is a three-disc collection chronicling the sessions, collaborations and live performances surrounding Van's mid-career masterpiece, originally released in March 1997. The Healing Game (Deluxe Edition) is produced by Van Morrison for Exile Productions, Ltd.
The Deluxe Edition's first disc, "The Original Album Plus..." features the ten classic recordings that form the core of The Healing Game in addition to five bonus tracks, previously issued on singles or compilations, assembled together here for the first time: "Look What the Good People Done," "At the End of the Day," "The Healing Game," "Full Force Gale '96" and "St. Dominic's Preview."
"Disc 2 - Sessions & Collaborations" includes formative early versions of "The Healing Game" and "Fire in the Belly" and a variety of previously unreleased recordings including a jazz version of "The Healing Game," the full length version of "Sometimes We Cry," a cover of "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" and several previously unissued collaborations with rock & roll guitar hero Carl Perkins ("Boppin' the Blues," "Matchbox," "My Angel," and "All By Myself"). Disc 2 showcases blues legend John Lee Hooker on two tracks--"Don't Look Back" and "The Healing Game" - from Hooker's 1997 album Don't Look Back. Produced by Van Morrison and released the same day (March 4, 1997) as The Healing Game, Don't Look Back took home the Best Traditional Blues Album Grammy in 1998 while the title track won Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals. Disc 2 of The Healing Game (Deluxe Edition) closes with Van collaborating with skiffle king Lonnie Donegan on a definitive interpretation of Jimmie Rodgers' "Mule Skinner Blues."
"Disc 3 - Live at Montreux 17 July 1997" finds Van at the peak of his on-stage powers soulfully roaring through an extraordinary live set featuring songs from The Healing Game alongside hits and personal favorites from his catalog; covers of Ray Charles ("Fool For You"), Anthony Newley ("Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me") and Sly Stone ("Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin))" and more. A much-sought-after concert performance, Van Morrison's Live at Montreux recording is officially available for the first time - with pristine state-of-the-art audio - on The Healing Game (Deluxe Edition).
The Healing Game marked a liminal turning point for Van Morrison as he entered his fourth decade as a professional musician. Following a period of crafting romantic ballads that found mainstream success—including “Someone Like You,” “Have I Told You Lately” and “Days Like This” (featured in the film As Good As It Gets)—Van felt compelled to revisit the jazz and rhythm and blues-inspired music that infused his earliest works with Them and as a solo artist in the late 1960s.
For this fresh phase in his career, Van assembled a new band featuring such heavy hitters as saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis (formerly of James Brown’s band), British jazz/blues legend Georgie Fame and bassist Alec Dankworth (who at the time had completed several years in Dave Brubeck’s touring band). With these sidemen, Morrison dove back into jazz with the bebop-inspired How Long Has This Been Going On? (1995), recorded at London jazz club Ronnie Scott’s, and Tell Me Something: The Songs of Mose Allison (1996), a tribute to the influential American jazz-blues pianist. Following these jazz-related releases, Morrison and his band recorded a visionary new album of 10 originals. The album reinforced Morrison’s reputation as an artist ready, willing and eager to pursue his muses to new and unexpected places.
VAN MORRISON - THE HEALING GAME (DELUXE EDITION)
Disc 1 – (The Original Album…Plus)
1. Rough God Goes Riding
2. Fire in the Belly
3. This Weight
4. Waiting Game
5. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
6. Burning Ground
7. It Once Was My Life
8. Sometimes We Cry
9. If You Love Me
10. The Healing Game
11. Look What the Good People Done
12. At the End of the Day
13. The Healing Game (single version)
14. Full Force Gale '96 (single version)
15. St. Dominic's Preview
Disc 2 - Sessions & Collaborations
1. The Healing Game (alternate version) (previously unissued)
2. Fire in the Belly (alternate version) (previously unissued)
3. Didn't He Ramble (previously unissued)
4. The Healing Game (jazz version) (previously unissued)
5. Sometimes We Cry (full length version) (previously unissued)
6. Mule Skinner Blues
7. A Kiss to Build a Dream On (previously unissued)
8. Don't Look Back - John Lee Hooker
9. The Healing Game - John Lee Hooker
10. Boppin' the Blues - Carl Perkins & Van Morrison (previously unissued)
11. Matchbox - Carl Perkins & Van Morrison (previously unissued)
12. Sittin' on Top of the World - Carl Perkins & Van Morrison (arranged by Van Morrison)
13. My Angel - Carl Perkins & Van Morrison (previously unissued)
14. All By Myself - Carl Perkins & Van Morrison (previously unissued)
15. Mule Skinner Blues - Lonnie Donegan & Van Morrison
Disc 3 - Live at Montreux 17 July 1997 (all tracks previously unreleased)
1. Rough God Goes Riding
2. Foreign Window
3. Tore Down A La Rimbaud
4. Vanlose Stairway/Trans-Euro Train
5. Fool For You
6. Sometimes We Cry
7. It Once Was My Life
8. I'm Not Feeling It Anymore
9. This Weight
10. Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)
11. Fire in the Belly
12. Tupelo Honey/Why Must I Always Explain
13. The Healing Game
14. See Me Through/Soldier of Fortune/Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)/Burning Ground