Jennifer Lopez has reportedly changed her mind about performing at this year"s FIFA World Cup ceremony.
On Sunday evening the 44-year-old singer"s rep told CNN that she would no longer be appearing ahead of the first match between host Brazil and Croatia in São Paulo on Thursday. She has collaborated with rapper Pitbull and Brazilian popstar Cláudia Leitte for Brazil 2014"s official song We Are One (Ole Ola) and was due to take to the stage with the two musicians.
However, RadarOnline claims Jennifer realised it would be bad for her image if she didn"t show up. It is thought money was one of the reasons she dropped out of the gig in the first place.
“The backlash was so significant that she decided that she needed to attend,” a source inside the World Cup organising committee said.
“JLo was in a back and forth with the World Cup about expenses. She had wanted them to cover everything for her, from private transportation, to her hotel and the costs associated for her entire entourage.”
Jennifer reportedly pulled out after the committee refused to fund her requests.
After assessing her situation, the musician is said to have realised that the show, which will fall on the same day as her new album A.K.A."s release date, could be beneficial.
“But in the end, the record label privately told JLo that she needed to perform this event,” the source added. “It’s the world stage... It would have been foolish for her not to exploit the World Cup for the publicity factor alone.”
Jennifer has been through a tough time recently, splitting up from her boyfriend of two-and-a-half years Casper Smart. It has been rumoured they broke up because she didn"t trust him, while other reports suggest the 27-year-old ended things amid allegations he had been caught sending raunchy text messages to a transsexual model.