NJOY, the premium electronic cigarette brand, is running an advertising campaign to promote the use of NJOY King e-cigarettes as a New Year’s resolution for existing adult smokers.
NJOY’s overreaching business goal is to make traditional tobacco products obsolete, and the advertising campaign underpins this strategy. The advert (featured below) has a clear anti-smoking message and focuses on the emotive aspects of using e-cigarettes vs. traditional tobacco products. This differs greatly to adverts from other e-cigarette manufacturers that have used salacious content and ‘shock value’ to grab attention.
The campaign will target existing adult smokers, demonstrating there is an alternative to tobacco products and encouraging them not to continue to smoke combustion cigarettes and instead to switch to NJOY King e-cigarettes in the New Year as part of their resolutions. The underlying message is ‘everyone who loves you wishes you didn't smoke. So do we’. Family and friends of smokers will also be motivated to encourage smokers to switch to NJOY Kings, following the line ‘Friends Don't Let Friends Smoke’. Every year, millions of people in the UK spend billions of pounds in an effort to change what are considered ‘bad habits’. This is particularly true of cigarette smokers, with January traditionally the only month cigarette consumption meaningfully declines each year.
The advert features snapshots of two friends in various scenes throughout their lives, from their student days in their twenties to today. Each scene involves one friend helping or ‘saving’ the other from an unpleasant situation. The ad closes with one friend ‘returning the favour’ and advising the other not to pick up a cigarette. Aviicii's current hit 'Hey Brother' runs throughout.
The advert will run throughout January on key terrestrial stations, ITV1, Channel 4, Five, and a variety of digital channels, including ITV4, Five*, Film 4, More 4, Dave, Sky Sport and Sky Atlantic. Two cuts of the advert, a 30 second and 60 second version, will be aired throughout the campaign.
“Our goal at NJOY is simple, we want to make cigarettes entirely obsolete” comments Geoff Vuleta, Global Chief Marketing Officer at NJOY. “This idea is at the heart of our first UK TV advertising campaign. While other e-cigarette brands have focused their advertising on salacious or shocking content, or have promoted continued ‘dual use’ of electronic cigarettes with combustion cigarettes, we think it’s important for the product category to demonstrate the value of e-cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco for existing adult smokers.”
“The New Year period is traditionally a time of year to address our bad habits and try and change for the better, for our own benefit and for our friends and family. E-cigarettes offer this opportunity to existing adult smokers looking to change their behaviour. We really do believe in the line ‘Friends Don't Let Friends Smoke’, given the universal recognition of the perils of tobacco smoking. It’s part of our longer term goal to make cigarettes obsolete.
The campaign will be the first time NJOY has advertised on television in Europe, and follows the company’s launch in the UK in mid 2013. NJOY is one of the most popular e-cigarette brands in America, with over 80,000 retail locations in the US, 15,000 in the UK and 30,000 in Spain. The TV campaign will air in the US, UK and Spain.
Also, enter a competition to win £2,500 worth of holiday vouchers! Order samples here
, only £1 postage!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Enter online here
. UK only. 18+. No purchase necessary. Promotion open 06.01.14 – 06.02.14 Only one entry per person. 1 prize available awarded as £2,500 in travel vouchers from Thomson Holidays. See x.com for full details.
Full terms and conditions
1. The promotion is open to only United Kingdom residents (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) aged 18 or over, excluding employees and their immediate families of the NJOY Innovations Ltd, its agents, or any person professionally connected with this activity. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse any entry that is believed to be in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
2. To enter: Sign in with your email or Facebook account and follow the instructions that Rafflecopter (the service provider) provides.
Consumer Participants can enter only once, but may have up to 5 chances of winning, earned in the following ways:
◦ Answering the question correctly
◦ Tweeting about the giveaway via the promotional app
◦ Liking Njoy's Facebook page via the promotional app
◦ Following Njoy's Twitter handle via the promotional app
◦ Joining the Njoy Mailing list
3. Entrants may gain multiple entries into the prize draw by carrying out the actions listed on the form. All entries must be made by the person entering the promotion. Syndicated entries or those made using methods such as a computer macro, a script or the use of automated devices or processes or any multiple entry by any other means are not allowed and all such entries will be disqualified.
4. The opening date is 06.01.14. and the closing date for receipt of entries is 06.02.14.
5. Neither the network provider nor the Promoter can guarantee that the service will never be faulty but the network provider will endeavour to correct reported faults and make the service available as soon as the network provider reasonably can.
6. All valid entries at the end of the promotional period will be entered into a draw within a week of the end of the promotion. The first person drawn (at random) will win the one prize available.
7. The prize will be provided as £2,500 in travel vouchers with Thomson Holidays. Please see their website https://www.thomson.co.uk for full details of voucher terms.
8. The winner will be notified by 06/03/14 no later than one week after the closing date. All reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner.
9. The promoter reserves the right to verify all entries and the winner’s eligibility and to refuse to award a prize or withdraw prize entitlement where there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a breach of these terms and conditions or any instructions forming part of this promotion’s entry requirements, or otherwise where there are reasonable grounds to conclude that a participant has gained an unfair advantage in participating in the promotion or used fraudulent means.
10. The winner will be required to provide additional information where necessary. If the Promoter is unable to contact any winner within 28 days after the first attempt of email notification, the Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the prize entitlement and award the prize to another entrant selected randomly from the original entries.
11. Neither Promoter nor NJOY accepts any responsibility for any difficulties in entering the promotion or any entries or claims delayed, corrupted or misdirected.
12. The Promoter reserves the right to feature the name and county of the first-prize winner in this promotion, without further recompense, and the winner must agree to execute all necessary consents in connection with this publicity.
13. No cash or other prize alternatives are available, in whole or in part. The Promoter reserves the right to provide an alternative prize of equal or greater value in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
14. The winner agrees to participate in related publicity and must agree to execute all necessary consents in connection therewith. No additional compensation will be awarded for such promotional activities.
15. The name and county of the winner(s) will be available for 3 months after the closing date, upon application with a self-addressed envelope to NJOY HOLIDAY PROMOTION, NJOY Innovations Limited, Kean House, 6th Floor, 6 Kean Street, London, WC2B 4AS, United Kingdom – hard copy terms and conditions are also available throughout the promotional period by the same method of application.
16. Entrants participating in the promotion agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. The Promoter reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant found to be abusing or tampering with the operation of the promotion, or to be acting in any manner deemed by the Promoter to be in violation of the terms and conditions.
17. To the extent permitted by law, neither the Promoter nor NJOY are liable for any injury or damage to persons or property that may be caused, directly or indirectly, from any entrant’s participation in the promotion or from any prize.
18. Owing to exceptional circumstances outside its reasonable control and only where circumstances make this unavoidable, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the promotion or these terms and conditions at any stage but will always endeavour to minimise the effect on participants in order to avoid undue disappointment.
Promoter: NJOY Innovations Limited, Kean House, 6th Floor, 6 Kean Street, London, WC2B 4AS, United Kingdom.