With a combined age of 273, the Stones have romped to victory and shown the pop stars of today how to put on a show.
The rockers not only came out top in a review of the year’s music high and lows by free music streaming service blinkbox music, but trounced pop sensations One Direction.
The Best Song Ever singers – with a combined age of 97 – came bottom of the top 20 list with the launch of their movie. To add insult to injury, the only other entry featuring the boys is Taylor Swift’s swipe at Harry Styles as he spoke at the MTV Video Music Awards, coming in at number 19.
Proof that a Rolling Stone gathers no moss, Mick and the gang’s epic performance at this year’s festival topped the survey by a landslide, with 1 in 4 putting them on top – EIGHT TIMES more than those backing the 1D boys.
In another sign of respect for the elder statesmen of music, the death of music icon Lou Reed came in second, followed in third place by the return of legend David Bowie with his new album Where Are We Now?.
2013 was a year of comebacks and reunions, including news that McFly and Busted would form a super group (4th), Eminem’s epic return (8th) and 90s pop band B*witched with The Big Reunion gang going on tour (10th) – a bigger moment than Beyonce’s surprise album (11th).
The future King of England can take a bow after his performance with Jon Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift (6th) eclipsed Miley Cyrus’ twerk-tastic We Can’t Stop/Blurred Lines show stopper at the VMAs (7th).
The summer time smash hit Get Lucky by Daft Punk was the only song entry in the survey (15th) whilst the naughty video to Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines was the only video entry, but failed to make it into the top 10 (12th).
Despite huge music moments over the past 12 months, 8 out of 10 Brits didn’t think 2013 was a golden year for pop music.
blinkbox music’s Rowan Adams comments: “Whilst most Brits think it hasn’t been a golden year for pop, the same can’t be said for seasoned pros the Rolling Stones, who claim the biggest music moment of 2013. The question is, will we be talking about One Direction’s Glastonbury show in fifty years’ time?”
Over 2000 British adults were surveyed by One Poll for blinkbox music. Here is the full list:
1. Rolling Stones headline Glastonbury
2. Death of Lou Reed
3. David Bowie comeback album
4. McFly and Busted form McBusted
5. Adele wins Oscar for Skyfall
6. Prince William sings with Jon Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift
7. Miley Cyrus twerks at the MTV VMAs
8. Eminem’s comeback album
9. JLS announce they are breaking up
10. The Big Reunion tour
11. Beyonce releases a surprise album
12. The Blurred Lines video
13. Emeli Sande named UK’s biggest selling album artist for the second consecutive year
14. Will Smith and Alfonso Ribeiro appear on The Graham Norton Show
15. Daft Punk’s Get Lucky reigns over summer
16. Jay Z rides the London Underground
17. Beyonce’s performance at the Superbowl
18. Metallica play a special gig in Antarctica
19. Taylor Swift has a dig at Harry Styles as he collects MTV award
20. One Direction’s movie