The Flaming Lips have successfully smashed the Guinness World Record previously held by Jay-Z for most concerts performed in multiple cities after a historic road trip through the Mississippi Delta region which now ranks as the most-viewed digitally driven event in Viacom Music & Logo Group history, including generating more than 43 million votes.
"To be able to pick up this silly drinking book-after all, Guinness is a beer-this funny book that when I was growing up was a curiosity. To be published alongside the man who ate 22 pounds of his own boogers, beside the woman with the longest toenails or perhaps even to be published beside an individual who has had maybe 1000 cockroaches stuffed into their ears... that, to me, would be one of life's absurd joys," said The Flaming Lips front man Wayne Coyne.
Kicking off in Memphis on July 27,The Flaming Lips boarded a tricked tour bus, Endeavor, and played a series of shows throughout the Mississippi Delta region joined by a diverse lineup of artists including Jackson Browne, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Neon Trees, Gary Clark Jr., Karmin, Hunter Hayes, GIVERS, MNDR, Neon Indian and more, before officially setting the new world record tonight in New Orleans. The awards began with the Major of Memphis introducing The Flaming Lips, who played a stirring rendition of their song, "Do You Realize." Along the way, Flaming Lips front man Wayne Coyne road tripped with Jackass's Chris Pontius, laughed as Grace Potter sang "All Night Long" in a helium voice, and shot fireworks off into the dark Mississippi night. Other keys moments included Big Freedia winning "Too Much Ass for TV," Neon Lips performing "Hex Girlfriend," Hunter Hayes performing "Wanted," and Jackson Brown talking songwriting at 16.
"Achieving this record-breaking musical journey has been exhausting and exhilarating at the same time," said Van Toffler, President of the Music and Logo Group. "Wayne, the Lips, all the musicians and fans that greeted us along the Delta and a sweaty tired crew made for some choice moments on this trek. Now it's time for all of us to take a long hot shower."
In other Flaming Lips news, the band is currently putting the finishing touches on their new studio album due later this year. More details to be revealed shortly. In the meantime, don't forget to pick up THE FLAMING LIPS AND HEADY FWENDS, which is now available on physical CD and through all digital retailers. Released on June 26th, THE FLAMING LIPS AND HEADY FWENDS just may be their most adventurous recorded experience to date. The album contains the band's unique and experimental collaborations with a diverse cross-section of heavy friends from every corner of the musical cosmos, including vocal and musical assistance from such disparate playmates as Yoko Ono, Nick Cave, Bon Iver, Ke$ha and many more. A new track recorded with Aaron Behrens of Ghostland Observatory is exclusive to the CD and digital versions and was not included on the vinyl edition.
The track listing for THE FLAMING LIPS AND HEADY FWENDS is as follows:
1. "2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) "(w/ Ke$ha, Biz Markie & Hour Of The Time Majesty 12)
2. "Ashes In The Air" (Featuring Bon Iver)
3. "Helping The Retarded To Know God" (Featuring Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros)
4. "Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee" (Featuring Prefuse 73)
5. "Children Of The Moon" (Featuring Tame Impala)
6. "That Ain't My Trip" (Featuring Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
7. "You, Man? Human???" (Featuring Nick Cave)
8. "I'm Working At NASA On Acid" (Featuring Lightning Bolt)
9. "Do It!" (Featuring Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band)
10. "Is David Bowie Dying?" (Featuring Neon Indian)
11. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (Featuring Erykah Badu)
12. "Girl, You're So Weird" (Featuring New Fumes)
13. "Tasered And Maced" (Featuring Aaron Behrens of Ghostland Observatory)