Jon Bon Jovi’s restaurant Soul Kitchen was in danger of fire damage when a breadbasket began to burn, it has been reported.
The rock star was holding a VIP dinner at his New York eatery when the pre-dinner snack burst into flames.
Among the guests being catered for by star chef Mario Batali was the wife of American TV host Jon Stewart, Tracey, who witnessed the dangerous accident first hand.
“The bread Mario served was wrapped in brown paper, and it got too close to a candle and — whoosh,” a source told the New York Post.
Batali had taken over the kitchen to help launch the “guest chef series” at Soul Kitchen, which will see various famous cooks do a stint at the stove for Bon Jovi’s customers.
Celebrity chefs who have signed up for the fundraising programme include Tom Colicchio, David Chang, Marcus Samuelsson and even former US president Bill Clinton.
Community restaurant Soul Kitchen doesn’t advertise prices on its menus and instead asks guests to either hand over money or volunteer work to pay for their meal.
The famous chefs are hoping to help draw in a generous crowd to raise money for charity.