Adele ‘21’ sold around 716,000 units this week following the Grammy Awards.
Adele’s previous album ‘19’ also clocked up a further 86,000 sales scoring her the number 4 spot as well.
In the past week Whitney Houston ‘The Greatest Hits’ sold 170,000 to give her the number two spot after her death just days for the Grammys.
In a stroke of pure coincidence, Adele ‘21’ has now clocked up 21 weeks at number one in America making ‘21’ giving Adele the longest run at number one for a female artist ever.
To score the title Adele beat … Whitney.
Whitney Houston ‘The Bodyguard’ held the title for the past 20 years. In the same week of Whitney’s death, Adele equalled her record and this week past it.
The Grammy Awards drove sales in the USA this past week. Eight of the Top 10 positions was Grammy related by either winners, performers or compilations featuring Grammy songs.
And with last night Brits triumph the boom looks set to continue.
The Top 10 this week will be:
1. Adele – 21
2. Whitney Houston – The Greatest Hits
3. Various – Now That’s What I Call Music 41
4. Adele – 19
5. Various – 2012 Grammy Nominees
6. Paul McCartney – Kisses On The Bottom
7. Van Halen – A Different Kind Of Truth
8. Bruno Mars – Doo-Wops and Hooligans
9. Lady Antebellum – Own The Night
10. Coldplay – Mylo Xyloto