added: 4 Aug 2012 // by: Music-News.com Newsdesk
AIM Independent Music Awards have announced the recipients of 2 awards: the legendary Edwyn Collins is set to receive the Outstanding Contribution to Music Award, and Mute founder Daniel Miller will receive the prestigious Pioneer Award. All other winners will be unveiled at the AIM Independent Music Awards' second ceremony which will be held at The Brewery in Clerkenwell on October 29th.
Celebrating the incredible array of talent at the heart of the thriving independent music sector, the Awards will see renowned champions of credible music, BBC 6 Music's Steve Lamacq and BBC Radio 1's Huw Stephens hosting the ceremony once again.
The winners were decided by an expert panel of judges selected from across the music industry including such luminaries as Sean Adams (DrownedInSound), Tim Jonze (Guardian.co.uk), Ras Kwame (DJ), Pete Paphides (Music Journalist & Broadcaster), Paul Stokes (Associate Editor (Digital) Q), Luke Turner (Associate Editor, The Quietus) as well as AIM Independent Music Award hosts Huw Stephens (DJ, BBC Radio 1) and Steve Lamacq (DJ, BBC 6Music).
The 2012 categories in full:
• Best Live Act - For the best live act signed to an independent label, voted for by readers of The Fly
• Independent Album of the Year - For the year's best independently released album
• Best 'Difficult' Second Album - The independent album that has built on the success and brilliance of a debut release
• Golden Welly Award for Best Independent Festival - Recognising the UK's best independent festival
• Independent Breakthrough of the Year - For an artist that made serious waves in 2012
• Genre Spotlight Award - Recognising a great release in a niche or specialist genre
• Special Catalogue Release of the Year - For a catalogue release that offers something special
• Best Small Label - They're not big (yet) but they are clever!
• Hardest Working Band or Artist - For a band or artist that demonstrates an admirable work ethic
• PPL Award for Most Played Independent Act - For the independent act most played in public and on radio
• Pioneer Award - Recognising a visionary independent label founder
• Outstanding Contribution to Music - For an artist who continues to influence and inspire with their work
• Independent Label of the Year - For a label that has had a truly brilliant year
• Independent Entrepreneur of the Year - For someone approaching the market in a smart and forward thinking way
• Indie Champion Award - For an individual who demonstrates unwavering support for the independent community
Voting for the Best Live Act Award, chosen by readers of The Fly and the Indie Champion Award, chosen by AIM member labels and visitors to the AIM website will be open from August 13-30. Voting for the Golden Welly Award, chosen by readers of This is Fake DIY will be open from September 10-23.
Stay updated with your free Music News daily newsletter. Subscribe here now!